Director of Land Development
The Woodlands, Texas
The Director of Land Development will be responsible for helping to facilitate the runway for First America Homes to be able to scale our business up to a sustainable 1,000 plus closings per year in the greater Houston market. We are looking for the right person with the drive and determination to help us grow our business into one of the top private homebuilding companies in our market. This is an exempt position that reports to the First America Homes Division President.
- Identify potential land acquisition targets that fit within the parameters of the First America model (either value density or value acreage) and corporate strategic goals through a network of colleagues and brokers able to bring acquisition opportunities as needed. Once identified, perform preliminary due diligence of the parcel including utility structure, drainage, and other risk mitigation measures to determine if it would be a fit. If yes, then prepare an acquisition feasibility package, including product recommendations, financial analysis, and risk mitigation measures. The project is to be presented to the Division President and corporate management for approval.
- Generate finished lot acquisition opportunities through a network of industry contacts including the major landowners in various counties. Once opportunities are identified, supervise the preparation of the acquisition feasibility packages and brief the Division President and corporate management on the targeted acquisition to obtain approval for the capital expenditures. Upon approval by the Division President and corporate management, prepare the purchase agreement using the First America lot takedown purchase template.
- Track the progress, estimate completion date, and confirm that all due diligence documents are received and reviewed. Advise the Division President of any potential problems or issues and offer suggestions for resolution prior to the expiration of the feasibility period.
- Follow-up regularly with the individual lot developer/sellers to get specific updates on the status of their projects, to gauge substantial completion and anticipate any potential delays. This is crucial to anticipate staffing for new projects, and to help ensure that we do not gap out between phases of existing projects.
- Use the substantial completion checklist to ensure successful completion to the letter of the contract. At that point, notify the Division President and finance department that we can move forward with the purchase of the initial lots.
- Track lot supply and takedowns in each active project on a weekly basis to ensure compliance with each lot takedown agreement, and to be able to work with the VP of Sales to ensure absorption remains consistent with at least the minimum expectation in each community, so that we do not have to fill our balance sheet with lots. The goal is to be ahead of our takedown agreement, or just in time.
- Develop a sufficient land purchase plan in order to achieve financial objectives.
Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Land and Property Development, Urban Planning, Construction Science or related field required
- Master’s degree Preferred
- 3 – 5 years of residential real estate experience required
- Strong communication skills
- Valid driver’s license