Free & Cheap Things To Do In Houston This Summer
Looking for fun things to do this summer without breaking the bank? One of the perks of living near the 4th largest city in the US is the endless options of activities to keep you occupied.
From free concerts to aquarium days, see below for a list of fun things to do this summer in your own backyard.
1. Free Neighborhood Concert Series - Houston Symphony
- June 5, 7:30 pm @ Lilly Grove Missionary Baptist Church
- June 6, 7:30 pm @ Spring High School (Spring)
- June 8, 7:30 pm @ Dobie High School (Pasadena)
- June 9, 7:30 pm @ Cinco Ranch High School
- June 10, 7:30 pm @ Atascocita High School
Every Thursday from 7-9 pm throughout the month of June, Discovery Green will host free concerts in the park. They will also host workout classes, kayaking, meditations, and different workshops for less than a small fee throughout the summer.
Wednesday afternoons at 4 p.m., Nature Discovery Center will have a Nature Story Time. Each week they read books on different nature topics and then invite the kids for a fun craft or nature walk! Live animal demonstrations, specimens to observe and touch, nature walks and crafts bring nature themes to life for Nature Story Time guests.
Entry at the theater is always free, but if you want to sit in the covered seating area, grab your tickets at the free box office the morning of the performance. Otherwise, bring a lawn chair or blanket for hillside seating.
5. Free and Cheap Movie Series
- Cinemark: Movies are just $1 weekday mornings. Or get 10 movies for only $5 paid in advance. Show days are usually Tuesday, Wednesday or both beginning week of June 5.
- Studio Movie Grill: Tickets are just $1 at Studio Movie Grill’s Children’s Summer Series. Catch the 10 am show Monday through Friday at Copperfield, CityCentre and Pearland locations.
- Regal: $1 movies every Tuesday and Wednesday at 10 am beginning June 5 for nine weeks. Both movies play BOTH days. Participating location is Edwards West Oaks Mall Stadium 14.
- Alamo Drafthouse Katy: Catch a cheap movie 7 days a week all summer. Choose your own ticket price ($1 $3, $5) and purchase online to reserve your spot. 100% of the ticket sales benefit Make-A-Wish Texas Gulf Coast and Louisiana (Houston chapter). This is for Alamo Drafthouse Katy @ Mason Park.
- Premiere Cinemas: Enjoy free movies at Premiere Renaissance Theater at Greenspoint Mall Tuesdays & Wednesdays, 10 am. June 5 – August 8. Premiere Cinemas Pearland Wednesdays, 10 am. Free movies at Premiere Cinemas Tomball Tuesdays and Wednesdays as well.
- Showbiz Cinemas: Enjoy 50¢ movies at ShowBiz Cinemas Tuesday mornings, 9:30 am in Kingwood. Follow their Facebook page for dates for 2018 as they haven’t been announced yet.
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum – Thursdays 1 pm – 5 pm
- Houston Museum of Natural Science – Thursdays 2 pm – 5 pm
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston — Thursdays 10 am – 9 pm — Kids 12 & under free every day
- Children’s Museum of Houston — Thursdays 5 pm – 8 pm
- The Health Museum — Thursdays 2 pm – 7 pm
- Holocaust Museum Houston – Thursdays 2 pm – 5 pm
- Houston Museum of African-American Culture — Thursdays 6 pm – 8 pm
- Czech Center Museum Houston – Last Monday each month, noon -4 pm
Every Friday night from June 8 - August 17, the Downtown Aquarium is giving free salsa dance lessons from 7pm-11pm. The event will have great food and drinks, and is open to all ages!
Enjoy a free 90-minute cruise along the Houston Ship Channel. Tours are available Wednesday through Saturday, 10 am and 2:30 pm run time plus 2:30 pm Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Closed Monday and Tuesday. Reservations are first-come, first-served and must be at least 24 hours in advance. Reserve a tour spot online or call 713-670-2416.
9. 2 for Tuesday at the Downtown Aquarium
Buy One All-Day Adenture Pass for $20.99 and get one free! This is valid June through August with this coupon!
Registered kids receive 2 free games of bowling each day of summer! Participating locations in Katy, Tomball, Humble and Houston areas.